Monday, November 19, 2012

FEELING THE RHYTHM Sneak Peek Excerpt

Hey, everyone! Since we're coming down the homestretch for the release of my next novel, FEELING THE RHYTHM, I thought it was time to share a little peek at it. I picked this particular scene from Chapter 2 because I thought it would be a good reintroduction to Brad, Remmy, and the guys.

As of right now, things are still on for it to release on November 23rd at MLR Press in all ebook formats. If anything changes with that date, I'll be sure to post an update here.

Hope everyone who decides to pick up the book, enjoys it!



Blurb:
Brad Delfini once had the world in his hands, but misfortunes and bad decisions showed him just how quickly the spotlight can go dark. For years, he was struggling to get by, until a fateful phone call brought him to famed rock band, Conquest. Since becoming their drummer, he’s hit the top of fame again, and he has all he could ever want. Except for one thing. As Conquest’s world tour draws to a close, that missed chance leaves him filled with regrets.

Remmy Laurent has been a roadie since he graduated high school, but years of being on the move have worn him down. He decides it’s time to quit and bring some stability into his life. He just wanted to finish out this one last tour with his favorite band; Conquest. It hasn’t been an easy tour, for many reasons, but most of all because no matter how hard he tried to deny it, he lost his heart to a man who he thinks barely knows he exists.

When the last concert is played, Brad and Remmy both believe they’ll never see each other again, but a little friendly intervention brings them together once more. As they begin to know each other in a whole new way, Brad must somehow make peace with his past if he and Remmy are going to have a future.

Excerpt:
Remmy saw the stagehands gathering, ready to run out as Conquest exited to get things set for the encore. Jesse wished the crowd good night, but wasn’t halfway across the stage before the “En-core! En-core!” chant began. He jogged down the stairs and went into Evan’s arms, who hugged him, heedless of how sweaty Jesse was from the long performance. No matter how many times Remmy saw them interacting, his heart melted at the beauty of their relationship and ached to have something close to it in his own life.

That was another reason he needed to leave the roadie scene. Love didn’t seem to want to find him here. It was time for him to move on and look for it somewhere else.

Jesse and Evan walked by him, their arms around each other, both acknowledging him with smiles. Kenny followed behind them, his head tipped back with his lips locked around a bottle of water, but he still lifted his hand in a wave. Julian and Morgan neared, hand in hand. 

Morgan glanced toward him. “Hey, Rem.”

“Hey.” Remmy looked at Julian. “Great show, as usual, Jules.”

Julian nodded his appreciation. “Thank you. Just a few more songs to go. I think we may survive this tour yet.”

Remmy chuckled, but it was weak. There was only one more band member left to walk by him, and just knowing Brad was approaching sent his heart racing. He glanced to the side, and there he was, coming closer, walking while wiping sweat from the back of his neck with a white towel.

Brad paused to pull the sweat soaked tank top over his head, a crew member rushing up to take it from him.

Remmy gripped the equipment crate with one hand to steady himself. He’d seen Brad without a shirt on countless times, but each time it had the same effect; instant hard-on. The body on Brad…he wanted to touch him so badly. He could almost feel the solid, thick pecs under his palms, the skin warm, soft, and smooth. The deep grooves of Brad’s abs flexed with his quick breaths, as he was slightly winded from the energy he’d put out playing. And he couldn’t help it that as he looked at the sweat shining on Brad’s skin, small droplets dotting it, all he wanted was to taste the salt of him on his tongue. How could anyone look at that man and not want to lick him?  

Brad’s eyes flicked up, his gaze meeting Remmy’s. As Brad smiled and walked toward him, time passed for Remmy in his rapid heartbeats rather than seconds.
 
Brad clapped Remmy on the shoulder. “I forgot to tell you before the show, good job setting up my skins.”

Brad’s voice —deep, colored with a Brooklyn accent —made it so Remmy couldn’t find his own for a moment. “You’ve said that every night for the whole tour. It’s okay if you let it slip by once.”

Brad shook his head. “No, it’s not. Not for how hard you work to do things right by me, and especially now that we’re done. I gotta let you know I appreciate all you’ve done.”

Remmy stared at him. Brad’s words, his smile, the kindness in his eyes, all struck him speechless. Realizing he was staring, he quickly lowered his gaze, trying to catch something close to composure. He needed to say something. Anything! Just spit something out so he didn’t look like a total fool.

Remmy slowly lifted his gaze to Brad’s again, calling a soft smile to his lips. “Thanks, man. That means a lot.”

Brad held Remmy’s gaze for a moment longer, then cleared his throat and looked beyond Remmy. “I guess I should catch up with the guys.”

Remmy nodded, but as Brad moved by him, his mind screamed about something he’d forgotten. He spun around to Brad. “Hey, hold up a second!”

Brad stopped and turned back. “What’s up?”

Remmy picked up the package he’d left on the crate. He extended it to Brad. “I got something for you. To celebrate the end of a kickass tour.”

Brad slowly took the package, wrapped in blue paper, from Remmy’s hands, staring down at it. “You didn’t have to do this.”

Remmy shrugged. “It’s nothing big. I just thought of you when I saw it, so I had to get it.” He nodded at the package. “Open it.”

Brad tore the wrapping away, and started laughing at what it revealed; a black T-shirt with an image of The Muppets character, Animal, behind a set of drums, sticks raised as if he was wildly pounding, and the words “Drum Hero” stenciled beneath. He lifted the shirt free of the paper. “This is awesome.”

“You really like it?”

“Hell yeah. Animal was always my favorite. And his band was damn good!” Brad paused, glancing upward in a thoughtful expression, muttering softly, “What was their name?”

“Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.”

Brad snapped his fingers and laughed. “That’s right!” He looked back down to the shirt, a soft smile on his lips. “Thanks for this.”

“It’s nothing. I’m glad you like it.”

Brad set the paper aside and shook out the shirt, slipping his hands into the bottom of it. “I’ll wear it for the encore.”

Remmy’s mouth dropped open, a stuttering gasp of surprise leaving him. He watched as Brad pulled the shirt on, his abdomen and side muscles stretching with his arms over his head. As Brad tugged the shirt down and into place, Remmy saw what a perfect fit it was, tight enough to show Brad’s muscled body, his strongly formed biceps filling out the sleeves.

Brad held his arms out to the sides. “How’s it look?”

Remmy answered in a whisper. “Hotter than hell.”

Remmy’s eyes slowly widened as he realized what he’d just said. He could feel heat flooding up his neck to his face. His mouth opened, but no sound came out, as though his brain feared he’d say another embarrassing thing and wouldn’t let him talk.

Brad dropped his arms to his sides, his smile shifted to a smirk. “You think so?”

Between his brain keeping a tight hold on his mouth and his heart threatening to beat through his chest, Remmy couldn’t answer. He felt amazed he at least managed a nod.

Brad took a half step closer to him. “I really appreciate this, and all you’ve done for me.”

Before Remmy’s mind could form another thought, Brad’s body was pressed against him, strong arms wrapped around him. Shock froze him for a brief instant, but it was very brief, as his arms went around Brad in return. His hands placed on Brad’s back, and just as he’d imagined for so many long days and nights, he could feel the firm muscles. He breathed deep through his nose, pulling in the salty scent of Brad’s skin.

Brad’s voice came in a lower timbre. “I feel bad that I don’t have anything for you.”

Remmy shook his head slightly. “Don’t. That wasn’t why I got you something.”

Brad slowly released him, taking a short step back. “Yeah, but still, you’ve busted ass for us, and me. How about after the show, we head out somewhere and I buy you a beer?”

“Seriously?”

Wearing a bright smile, Brad clapped him on the shoulder. “Of course, man. Catch up to me after we wrap up these encores.”

Remmy nodded, his smile matching Brad’s. “All right, I will.” He caught sight of Jesse walking toward them, Evan at his side, Kenny, Julian, and Morgan behind him. He looked back to Brad. “Looks like it’s time for you to go on. I’m sorry, I took all your break time.”

“Don’t worry about it. It was worth it.”


Copyright 2012 by S.J. Frost and MLR Press



21 comments:

  1. Yay! Can't wait to catch up with the guys again. I've always loved Brad, I'm so happy he's getting his HEA too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'll have fun hanging out with them again :-) Brad really is a sweet guy, and I thought he totally deserved his HEA.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you much! The wait's getting shorter and shorter now :D

      Delete
  3. Oh my!!!! I can not wait. Please tell me its being released here in the UK at the same time as America??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking forward to it and wanting to get it! Yep, I do believe that if you purchase it in ebook off the MLR Press website, it's available worldwide. And it'll be available in all ebook formats there, PDF, epub, and prc/Kindle. So you shouldn't have any trouble getting it on the release date :D

      Delete
  4. Another "Must Have" story ! luv these guys

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ro! I really had a great time working with the guys. Now I hope everyone will enjoy reading about them again!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the sneak peek! It looks just as good as I knew it would be!
    Just wondering; will we see/hear anything from Black Heart Down, or Lions Rampant in here?

    P.S. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome for the sneak peek! Thank you so much for reading it and looking forward to the book :D As for BHD and Lions Rampant, well...I don't want to give away anything, but some familiar faces just might make an appearance ;-)

      Delete
  6. I have a red amimal t just like you described and i si cannot wait to get this book i see i need to re read but i will.lol xxoo SJ have a great T day

    Cindets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome you have an Animal shirt like the one I described! And thank you very much for wanting to get the book. Not too much longer now :D Hope you have a great day, too!

      Delete
  7. I'm hyperventilating I'm so excited. Love the excerpt! It's perfect. Love the shirt, Animal is awesome. Wish I could pre-order it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Thank you for being excited for it! I'm so happy you like the excerpt! I thought the shirt was a cute gift for Remmy to give him. You really can find shirts like that one :D

      Delete
  8. Another peek! I'm so excited! Love these guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's makes me very happy hearing you enjoy the guys :D It won't be much longer before they'll be going live for everyone to share in another of their adventures!

      Delete
  9. I've just read the excerpt. It's great! I can't wait to read Brad and Remmy's story. It feels like an early Christmas present.
    I just hope that the ebook/kindle will be available in Germany.
    Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is not available in Germany. Seems that I have to wait a bit longer to finally read Brad's story. *sigh*
      Gabriella

      Delete
    2. I'm very glad you liked the excerpt, Gabriella! Thank you so much for wanting to read their story :D But I'm so sorry you can't get it yet :-( I wonder why. I was under the impression that MLR Press's website and downloads were accessible world wide. Maybe if you emailed them, they might be able to help you out. I hope very much that you're able to read it soon and that you'll enjoy it!

      Delete
  10. Have just purchased the latest book. Looking forward to reading it very much. Just need to find some spare time now - may be the house work can wait :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Conquest boys. Take care and I hope you have a relaxing break and come back feeling refreshed and ready for more writing! Cheers, Kath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the good wishes and for wanting to read Feeling the Rhythm, Kath! The Conquest boys and I greatly appreciate both. I know exactly what you mean about needing some spare time. With being on my break right now, I've been wondering, "When exactly do I find the time to write?" lol! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, too! Thank you again!

      Delete