Thursday, June 22, 2017

I'm Still An Author...Sort Of


That picture pretty much sums up my writing life these days. The stories are there, always, constantly playing out in my mind, but typing them down...it's not happening. For the past fews years, I've regularly released a book every few months. Now, with my last book, Demon Prince, having been released in March, for the first time in an extremely long time, I don't have anything lined up or even in the works to be released. The reason? Several. I'm not going to explain all of them, we'd be here all day, but because of my past consistency, I felt I at least owed my readers an update that I've found myself on an unexpected hiatus from writing.

A few months ago, a personal loss hit me. It knocked the wind out of me and made me start to reevaluate some things. This combined with ever shrinking royalty checks, the pressure of publishing, the stress of struggling to find any spare minute I could to write while trying to raise my son, work my day job, and my increasing disenchantment with the publishing industry i.e. distributors stealing from authors, publishers stealing from authors, pirates stealing from authors...all compounded to where I just stopped.

Counting from when my first short story was published to now, I've been a published author for ten years, and the industry is hardly recognizable from what it was when I started. There's a lot more vitriol and a lot less money. And no, it's not all about money, but that is kinda important. That, along with instead of looking forward and excited to sit down and write, you feel anxiety over it, well, that shows there's a problem somewhere. There comes a point where you have to assess, is the stress and time spent writing worth the endgame of publishing a book? I'm not even sure that question has a true answer. It'll be different for every author, and the answer could probably change at any given point in their life. I just know in my life, in these recent months, I've had to step away.

To everyone who has supported my work, I'm grateful. When a reader opens their mind and lives to the words of an author, there's no greater gift. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.


12 comments:

  1. I hear you and I think a break will do you, and your writing, alot of good. My mother passed away over a year ago and I needed to take a step back from writing, Facebook, Twitter, pretty much everything except my family and real life friends for about six months. I wasn't sure I was going to continue the Loft Trilogy at all. But eventually I started feeling the urge to write again. It will come back, but you need to take some time to relax and focus on other things for awhile. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very touched by your post and my heart goes out to you for your loss. Our paths sound so similar from where you were to where I am now. I even wondered if I would write more on my series or leave them as is, then decided I have to write more...just not now. I believe you're right, that it'll come back. I just have to allow for the time to let it. Thank you so much for sharing *hugs*

      Delete
  2. I lost my mom in 2010... then had a stroke in 2013. So yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. There comes a time when things just get to be too damn much and a break is needed. So many of us, me included lol, will wait for you to come back!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry for your loss and all you've been through *hugs* You're absolutely right that sometimes, a break is needed. You just have to step back and take care of yourself and those around you. Thank you so much for the support and kind words. It means the world <3

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this update. I am an avid fan of your books and characters with Jesse and Evan being my favorites. Everyone needs to a break and you deserve it. I hope that you return to writing because it would be hard to lose your stories and characters, but you come first. I hope you stay well, and thank you. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update. I'm not writing for pay, but I'm afraid that selling books will become ever more a struggle for authors. I know for a fact that a number of people hire writers for peanuts, who are churning out books that are being marketed and sold under pen-names online. I wouldn't be surprised if half of all authors are puppets. That's not to put you down, your books are hot and I'm convinced your readers won't let you down. MD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SJ,

    I really respect you for taking a step back when you need it instead of trying to force writing when you aren't feeling it. I also respect you for taking time for yourself and your family. It sounds a bit selfish perhaps, but I always feel it's important to do what I need before I can give my time and attention to others. I hope you get to the point with your life and your writing where you publish again and it sounds like you will. However, if you never publish anything else, you have still given us some amazing gifts through your wonderful worlds and characters. I have been a fan since another author recommended you in 2009 or 2010 and I have read and reread your books at least a couple times a year ever since. Your books have touched me and they make me think. They inspire many emotions and I always feel good at the end of each one. So thank you so much for what you have written. I hope you write more in the future, but whether you do or not, I hope you, your son, and your pets are well or get to a place where you are.

    Sincerely,
    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SJ, I am a fan of your writings, and just because you need a break, that won't change, I have seen from the reader side of things the chaos from those thieving publishers/distributors, heck I lost a $500 credit when that major one packed up their toys and ran away like cowards, I first found your books with the Instincts series, they remain my favourite, but it's a close call, I hope the joy of writing finds it's way back through the crap, for your sake not ours, you don't owe us anything

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much like your other fans I wish you well. I haven't the faintest idea of what you as an author go through to get a book online and have the greatest of regard for all your published works. I wish you well. In wish you happiness and peace of mind. My children are much older than yours but would suggest strongly that you enjoy this time as it passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are well and the time you are taking is helping get through. Everyone has rough patches in there lives. I’m going through mine now too. We’ll get through and out the other side.
    I’m looking forward to your next book. I’ve missed you. Be well and know I’m thinking of you and praying for you.
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. SJ, I'm a big fan of your stories, especially the Paranormal Nobles and Instincts series. Every month I check on Amazon to see if there is a new Instincts boo. Yet every month I'm disappointed. I never took the time to check your personal website/blog until now. I'm so sorry you've lost your passion for writing and that you've had great losses in past years. I hope you find the happiness writing use to give you when you started. I wish you the best, and hope someday soon you can satisfy my curiosity about what happens with Li and Shen in the Instincts series because I'm dying to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I’m not sure if you even check this blog any more but I wanted to look for an update to see if you will ever go back to writing books? I hope all is well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete